Saturday, June 13, 2009

Comparing lifecycles

The Data Management Body of Knowledge (DM BOK) was released in April 2009 and is well worth reading if you are into that sort of thing. One of the diagrams mapped the stages of the System Development LifeCycle (SDLC) to the Data Lifecycle. This mapping was represented by the following diagram:
This is O.K. but I had some quibbles about the headings appearing in different spots (i.e. above and below the diagram). I also did not like the meaningless variations in colour. The lack of a legend requires the reader to work out that green is used for both the SDLC and the parts of the data lifecycle that map to the SDLC. I also thought the lines that represent the mappings were too thick. I found that other readers did not get the mappings - it was not clear enough for them.

So I have had a stab at re-drawing it with the following (you will need to click on the diagram to read it):

My thinking was to stretch the data lifecycle chevrons to cover the SDLC chevrons. This then removed the needs for the lines and highlights how the data lifecycle extends beyond the SDLC. The use of a legend removes the need for distracting titles. I also chose to keep the chevrons the same colour and shape (the original diagram varies the shapes at the beginning and end of the lifecycle).

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment